Recruitment and training of the Patient Partners in Research team takes place in January and July of each year. Those living with ovarian cancer, family members, friends or caregivers can apply to become Patient Partners in Research by contacting Jessica Lawson at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Ovarian Cancer Canada’s Patient Partners in Research Program engages those living with ovarian cancer and their loved ones as partners in research.
This supportive collaboration reflects our philosophy that clinical inquiry can be enhanced by appreciating the unique perspectives of those affected by this disease. Individuals with ovarian cancer are integrated throughout all aspects of our research initiatives, keeping the voice of those with lived experience at the forefront.
Our patient-centred research prioritizes questions that patients and their loved ones deem relevant and meaningful. The Patient Partners in Research Program complements and maximizes the impact of cancer research being done by Ovarian Cancer Canada supported scientists.
Our Patient Partners in Research team consists of 20+ women from seven provinces who attend monthly meetings where they hear from scientific and clinical experts, participate in ongoing education, and prepare for ongoing engagement opportunities.
Patient partner activities include:
- Participation on international and national grant review panels for pre-clinical studies and clinical trials
- Participation in small interactive sessions with researchers, including trainees
- Participation as panelists and speakers at Ovarian Cancer Canada’s education events
- Integration as team members in Ovarian Cancer Canada funded clinical trials
- Consultation on funding proposals, patient surveys and educational tools
- Participation in collaborative research grants with Ovarian Cancer Canada and external partners
- Speaking opportunities at national and international conferences about the benefits, challenges and best practices for patient engagement in research
Ovarian Cancer Canada at the 10th Canadian Conference on Ovarian Cancer Research on May 27 in Ottawa, Ontario.
Back row (L to R):
Tania Vrionis (CEO, Ovarian Cancer Canada), Yelena Aizenberg (patient partner), Julie Mulligan (patient partner), Emma Gerber (trainee), Donna Pepin (Patient Lead of Patient Partners in Research, Patient Advisor on OvCAN Governing Council), Cailey Crawford (VP, Programs and Policy, Ovarian Cancer Canada), Peggy Pickett (patient partner), Cristina Toporas (Director, Strategic Initiatives, Ovarian Cancer Canada)
Front row (L to R):
Shannon Kadar (patient partner), Karen Bemister (patient partner), Alicia Tone (OvCAN Project Manager & Scientific Advisor, Ovarian Cancer Canada), Dr. Barbara Vanderhyden (Chair of OvCAN Governing Council)