It is important to be gentle with yourself following surgery for ovarian cancer. Here are some activities that might help you to feel better, and some activities that you may want to avoid.
- Try to get lots of rest.
- Try to take time off work, if possible.
- Try to move around, if possible. For example, walk short distances when you feel able.
- Try speaking with a counsellor about what you are going through.
- Try to do things that bring you comfort, like watching your favourite movie, reading your favourite book, listening to calming music, or calling an old friend.
- Avoid heavy lifting.
- Avoid sexual intercourse for up to 8 weeks.
- Avoid driving as pain from surgery may limit your ability to move and react.
- Avoid germs as much as possible, as risk for infection is elevated after surgery.
- Avoid pushing yourself too hard. It is important to let yourself physically and emotionally recover from surgery.
Talk to your healthcare team about how to manage any side effects that you are experiencing.